Anchorage residents need permits for the following functions:

  1. Construction or demolition of any structure or an addition or alteration to a structure.
  2. Projects such as driveways, fences, sheds, sidewalks, and decks need to be reviewed by the City's Zoning Officer. If you are in the historic district or in a community with a homeowners association or deed restrictions you will need additional approvals from them. 
  3. Tree removal. (Needed only for trees with a 3" or greater diameter, living or dead.)
  4. A trench in the ground that exceeds 12 feet in length such as burying plumbing lines or installing underground pet fences.
  5. Repair or installation of irrigation systems, burying of phone, gas, electric or cable lines, septic systems, or the installation of a patio or driveway.
  6. Landscaping projects that include hardscapes such as retaining walls, walkways, patios, etc. (No permit needed to plant trees or shrubs.)
  7. Signs and banners.
  8. ABC (alcohol beverage) license.
  9. Group use of Anchorage roads or use of public facility.
  10. Golf cart.
  11. Solicitor's/Peddler's permit.
Where do I start? Please contact City Hall at (502) 245-4654 to determine if your project requires a permit and to find out the permit procedures, timelines, and application deadlines. 

New Homes, Additions, Accessory Structures - In addition to Historic Preservation Commission approval, all new construction, additions, and accessory structures added to your residence must meet zoning regulations and be approved the City of Anchorage.
Zoning Steps, Instructions, and Fees

Historic Preservation -
In order to preserve the ambiance and historical look of our City, all new home construction, additions to your home or property, alterations to existing structures that are visible from a public street, and demolition projects in the historic district must be approved by the Anchorage Historic Preservation Commission.
Trenching, Drainage, Roadcut, etc. - This type of work must be approved before work begins. (For sewer and septic system work use Tree Preservation Plan.)
Permit Application and Instructions       
Construction/Tree Preservation Plan -  All construction projects including sewer and septic system work.
Permit Application and Instructions
Tree Removal -  Use when removing trees greater than 3" in diameter that are living, dead (standing or fallen), or downed by storms.
Note: A photo of the tree(s) to be removed and a map showing the tree location(s) needs to be submitted with the tree removal notification form. Email the form, photo, and map to BOTH and
Form and Instructions
Recommended Replacement Tree List
Banners & Signs - Permanent or temporary placement. Permit Application

Group Road Use Permit -
Parade, walk/run or cycling event, etc. Permit Application

Use of Public Facility Permit -
City Hall meeting room, gazebo, etc. Permit Application
      -   Special Rules for Wagner Park and the City Hall Gazebo

Golf Cart Road Use Permit -
 Inspection/Permit Instructions